As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Regarding denim, there are countless styles and fits to choose from. Two popular options that have gained immense popularity in recent years are mom jeans and boyfriend jeans. These styles offer a relaxed and comfortable look while adding a touch of effortless cool to any outfit. But what sets mom jeans and boyfriend jeans apart? Which one should you choose? This article explores the characteristics, styling tips, and critical differences between mom and boyfriend jeans, helping you find your perfect fit.
What are Boyfriend Jeans vs. Mom jeans
Relaxed, loose fit
Tapered leg openings
Light washes add a retro aesthetic.
Distressed or ripped elements
What are Mom Jeans called?
Mom jeans are a vintage-inspired style that originated in the 1980s and has come back in recent fashion trends. These jeans are known for their high-waisted design, hips, and thighs with a loose fit and tapered leg openings. The name “mom jeans” comes from their association with the denim women wore in the ’80s and ’90s.
Characteristics of Mom Jeans
Mom jeans have distinct characteristics that set them apart from other jean styles:
- High-waisted design: Mom jeans typically sit above the natural waistline, accentuating the waist and creating a flattering silhouette.
- Relaxed fit: Unlike skinny jeans, mom jeans offer a more comfortable fit in the hips and thighs, providing comfort and ease of movement.
- Tapered leg openings: Mom jeans often have slightly tapered or straight leg openings, giving them a casual and vintage vibe.
- Classic denim washes: Mom jeans are commonly available in medium to light washes, adding to their retro aesthetic.
Styling Tips for Mom Jeans
Here are some styling tips to rock your mom jeans with confidence:
- Tuck in a fitted top: Tucking in a fitted top creates a balanced silhouette, highlighting the high-waisted design of mom jeans.
- Pair with cropped sweaters or blouses: Cropped sweaters or blouses complement the relaxed fit of mom jeans, adding a touch of femininity to the outfit.
- Add a belt for definition: A belt can enhance the waistline and add a stylish element to mom jeans, elevating your overall look.
- Complete the outfit with sneakers or ankle boots: Sneakers or ankle boots go well with mom jeans, creating a chic and casual ensemble.
What are Boyfriend Jeans?
Boyfriend jeans, as the name suggests, are inspired by the relaxed and slouchy look of jeans borrowed from a boyfriend’s closet. These jeans are known for their loose, baggy fit and a more laid-back aesthetic than mom jeans.
Characteristics of Boyfriend Jeans
Boyfriend jeans have distinctive characteristics that give them their unique appeal:
- Relaxed, loose fit: Boyfriend jeans offer a more relaxed fit throughout the leg, providing a comfortable and casual vibe.
- Lower rise: Unlike mom jeans, boyfriend jeans typically sit lower on the hips, giving a more low-slung appearance.
- Distressed details: Boyfriend jeans often feature distressed or ripped elements, adding to their effortlessly cool and worn-in look.
- Rolled cuffs: Boyfriend jeans are commonly worn with rolled or cuffed hems, adding a laid-back style.
Styling Tips for Boyfriend Jeans
Here are some tips to style your boyfriend jeans for a fashionable yet relaxed look:
- Pair with a fitted top or a tucked-in shirt: Balancing the loose fit of boyfriend jeans with a fitted top or a tucked-in shirt creates a more polished and put-together outfit.
- Add a feminine touch with heels: Contrast the casual nature of boyfriend jeans by pairing them with heels or wedges, instantly elevating your ensemble.
- Accessorize with a statement belt:A statement belt can bring attention to the waistline and add a stylish element to your boyfriend jeans outfit.
- Layer with a blazer or a leather jacket: Adding a blazer or a leather jacket to your boyfriend jeans ensemble can instantly create a trendy and edgy look.
Mom Jeans vs. Boyfriend Jeans: Fit and Silhouette
When it comes to fit and silhouette, mom jeans and boyfriend jeans differ in the following ways:
- Waistline: Mom jeans have a higher core, accentuating the waist, while boyfriend jeans sit lower on the hips, offering a more relaxed fit.
- Hip and thigh fit: Mom jeans have a more tailored fit through the hips and thighs, whereas boyfriend jeans have a looser, more relaxed fit.
- Leg shape: Mom jeans often feature a tapered or straight leg, while boyfriend jeans have a straight or slightly baggier leg throughout.
Mom Jeans vs. Boyfriend Jeans: Comfort
Comfort is a crucial factor when choosing jeans. Here’s how mom jeans and boyfriend jeans compare in terms of comfort:
- Mom jeans: With their relaxed fit through the hips and thighs and the absence of tightness around the waist, they offer excellent comfort for all-day wear.
- Boyfriend jeans: The loose fit and relaxed style of boyfriend jeans make them a comfortable option, allowing freedom of movement and a more laid-back feel.
Mom Jeans vs. Boyfriend Jeans: Versatility
Versatility is another essential aspect to consider when selecting jeans. Let’s explore how mom jeans and boyfriend jeans stack up:
- Mom jeans can be dressed up or dressed down, making them versatile for various occasions. They can be styled with casual tops or blouses and heels.
- Boyfriend jeans are inherently casual and lend themselves well to relaxed, everyday outfits. They are ideal for achieving a simple, effortless look.
Mom Jeans vs. Boyfriend Jeans: Trendiness
Fashion trends heavily influence jeans’ popularity. Here’s how mom jeans and boyfriend jeans fare in terms of trendiness:
- Mom jeans: Mom jeans have experienced a resurgence in recent years and are considered a trendy denim style that adds a vintage touch to modern outfits.
- Boyfriend jeans: Boyfriend jeans have been a staple in fashion for some time now. Their relaxed and effortlessly cool aesthetic continues to be on-trend.
Which Jeans Should You Choose?
The choice between mom and boyfriend jeans ultimately depends on your style and preferences. Consider the following factors when deciding:
- Body type: Mom jeans flatter a wide range of body types, particularly those looking to accentuate their waist. Boyfriend jeans work well for those seeking a relaxed and slouchy look.
- Occasion: Mom jeans can be dressed up or down, making them suitable for various events. Boyfriend jeans are more casual and best suited for everyday wear.
- Comfort: Consider how each style feels and fits your body. Opt for the jeans that offer the most comfort and freedom of movement for your lifestyle.
- Style aesthetic: Determine whether you prefer a vintage-inspired look (mom jeans) or a more laid-back, borrowed-from-the-boys vibe (boyfriend jeans).
Ultimately, both mom and boyfriend jeans have unique appeal and can be incorporated into your wardrobe based on your style preferences and outfit needs.
Regarding denim, mom jeans and boyfriend jeans offer distinct styles and fit. Mom jeans provide a high-waisted, relaxed fit with a tapered legs, while boyfriend jeans offer a looser, more slouchy fit. Both types have their merits in comfort, versatility, and trendiness. By understanding the characteristics and styling tips for each, you can find the perfect fit that suits your style and flatters your body type. Whether you opt for the vintage-inspired charm of mom jeans or the effortlessly cool vibe of boyfriend jeans, embrace the versatility and comfort these styles bring to your wardrobe.